Sponsored Links

Link

Sunday, April 11, 2010
Q.1 Taro is a Hikikomori man. He turns over a new leaf and decides to start working. Fortunately, two workplaces are likely to hire him. There aren't significant differences between the two workplaces in details of the jobs and working conditions. Which jobs will he apply for ?

A: A workplace which is 10 minutes away on foot.
B: A workplace which is 60 minutes away on foot.

Q.2 Jiro is a Hikikomori man. He turns over a new leaf and decides to go facilities for Hikikomori people before he start to work. Two facilities seem to accept him. Both of them provide similar services. Which facilities will he apply to ?

C: A facility which is 10 minutes away on foot.
D: A facility which is 60 minutes away on foot.

* * * * * * * * * *

If I were them, I'd choose B and D.

I'd choose places that are more remote from my house, because I may come across acquaintances of mine if I commute to places that are too close to my house. If I come across them, they may get to know I was a Hikikomori. I don't want them to know I was a Hikikomori. I don't mind walking 60 minutes each way to the workplace or facilities.

In this way, I'll pursue doughnut-shaped social participation if circumstances permit. In other words, I'll avoid commuting to nearby places but pursue distant places. Occasionally, I'm tempted to move to other areas to try to make a fresh start in life.

Some books about Hikikomori indicate that families of Hikikomori people tend to avoid being known as the family that has Hikikomori people.